The idea of a (real or imagined) country or nation can represent:
- An actual place or people
- A real or imagined group with something in common, such as location, goals, beliefs, culture, etc. For example, an organization, industry, religion, political party, county, community group, or hobbyists such as "all woodworkers"
- An entity with boundaries or a group who separate themselves from others or considers themselves different from others
- Againstness, or one side in an argument, as a country would represent one side in a war between countries
- A foreign country (different from yours) can also represent a feeling of unfamiliarity, strangeness, or different from what you're used to