Something that is fashionable or is a trend, style, or fad can represent:
- The desire or need to be like others, or to follow the lead of others (perhaps even including following others' suggestion to be unique)
- The way a person comes across to others in interactions (their demeanor, mood, personality, etc.)
- Something that you feel is a norm, generally accepted, or approved of by "everyone"
- An attempt to be accepted, avoid being judged, or to otherwise control others' opinions of you
- An attempt to feel better about oneself or express oneself (in verbal or non-verbal communication)